If you suffer from respiratory allergies, two very likely culprits are mould and dust. In this article, we will discuss where mould is found, cleaning mould, and how to get rid of it for good.
As with other allergic reactions, a person’s immune system overreacts when it comes into contact with the allergen. In this case, it would be breathing in mould spores. You can find more information about mould allergies here.
Where does mould grow?
Mould is very likely to grow in warm, damp conditions combined with poor ventilation. You will probably find mould in basements, bathrooms, and kitchen cupboards. Mould can also be found in carpets, mattresses, and pillows. You will even sometimes see mould growing around pet bedding and inside fish tanks.
How do you get rid of mould?
Firstly, it is important to protect yourself from coming into contact with the mould. Wear protective gloves to avoid touching the mould and a respirator mask to avoid breathing in mould spores. Most types of mould are harmful to your health, especially with prolonged exposure, and certain types of mould are even toxic to humans.
Only clean mould yourself if the area it covers less than 1m x 1m; if it is larger than this, rather get a professional to help.
Take care not to brush the mould too vigorously, as this will only cause it to release more spores. You can wipe the mould off with soapy water or a bleach solution. Take care when using bleach as it may discolour or permanently damage anything it comes into contact with. It is very important to dry the area thoroughly with a clean cloth. Discard the cloths afterwards by placing them in a plastic bag and sealing it – don’t try to clean them.
How can you stop mould from returning?
Increase ventilation in the areas you notice mould growing. If the humidity in the area is very high, you can consider using a dehumidifier to decrease the humidity. Also, watch out for damp spots as it would be the place mould is the most likely to grow.
If you found mould in furniture or carpets, the easiest will be just to replace them. Mould can permanently damage fabric, so even if you get rid of the mould, the fabric may be visually unattractive.